Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Skip to main content

Acceptable Documentation

When administering the pension and benefit programs for which it is responsible, Plannera Pensions & Benefits (Plannera) may require documents to support a change in personal information. This document describes how to get a copy of your original documentation certified and what document(s) you may need to change your information. Each type of change has a variety of documents Plannera accepts.

Certified Copies

Plannera accepts certified copies of documents so that members do not need to send originals in the mail. You can ask a member of one of the following professions to certify your copy:

  • Accountant
  • Chief of First Nations Band
  • Funeral Director
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Lawyer, Magistrate, Notary
  • Manager of Financial Institution
  • Medical and Health Practitioner: Chiropractor, Dentist, Doctor, Naturopathic Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, Opthamologist, Optometrist, Pharmacist, Psychologist, Registered Nurse
  • Member of Parliament or their staff
  • Member of a Provincial Legislature or their staff
  • Minister of Religion
  • Municipal Clerk
  • Official of a federal or provincial government department, or one of its agencies
  • Official of an Embassy, Consulate or High Commission
  • Official of a country with which Canada has a reciprocal Social Security Agreement
  • Plannera Employee
  • Police Officer
  • Professional Engineer
  • Social Worker
  • Teacher
  • University Professor
Please ensure:

The certified copy includes the name of the person certifying the document, his or her official position or title, telephone number, the date they certified the document, and the following statement:

This photocopy is a true copy of the original document which has not been altered in any way.

The person certifying the documents does not hold the same position as an individual in the same entity (i.e., a Social Worker employed by a particular branch of the government cannot certify for another Social Worker employed by the same branch).

Proof of Age

Primary Documentation
  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal certificate – baptism must be within five years of birth
  • Canadian citizenship papers
  • Valid Canadian passport
  • Valid Saskatchewan driver’s license
  • Valid driver’s license from another province, validated by a Commissioner for Oaths
Secondary Documentation

You must provide any two (2) of the following:

  • A statutory declaration by a parent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, minister of religion, physician, school teacher or other reputable person having knowledge of the member’s date of birth certified by a Notary Public, a Justice of the Peace, or a Commissioner for Oaths. The declaration is to include the reason why there is no primary documentary proof.


  • A statutory declaration by the individual certified by a Notary Public, a Justice of the Peace, or a Commissioner for Oaths . The declaration is to include the reason why there is no primary documentary proof.

If the individual was born in Canada, Great Britain or the United States after it was mandatory to register all births, either of the statutory declarations above must include a statement of search of the Registrar’s records to prove that the birth was not registered.

  • Census records
  • Communion, confirmation or other church records on official church forms/letterhead
  • Educational records, such as school records, diplomas, certificates, etc.
  • Employment records which are signed on the letterhead of the company and signed by an official of the company
  • Family bibles and other privately-kept records such as prayer books, provided the complete, original Bible, book or document is submitted
  • Homestead and land patent records
  • Identity records
  • Immigration records
  • Insurance records, including life insurance, medical insurance and government annuity records
  • Indian treaty and interest pay lists maintained by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, Native Indian Bank records.
  • International Refugee Organization documents
  • Marriage records
  • Medical and hospital records signed by the physician or medical official
  • Military service records
  • Pension and superannuation records on letterhead and signed by the appropriate authority
  • Public records such as voters’ lists, etc.
  • Script for Métis records which are maintained by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) application records
  • Employment insurance records, which indicated the month and year of birth
  • Vaccination certificates

Proof of Relationship

Primary Documentation
  • Marriage certificate – including death certificate if spouse has predeceased member
  • Divorce certificate or Decree Absolute
Secondary Documentation

You must provide a Statutory Declaration from the applicant certified by a Notary Public, a Justice of the Peace, or a Commissioner for Oaths. The declaration is to include the reason why there is no primary documentary proof.

Plus one (1) of the following:

  • Income tax returns
  • Commitment certificate
  • Cohabitation or prenuptial agreement


Two (2) of the following (plus Statutory Declaration):

  • Joint: wills, bank accounts, charge accounts, loans, insurance policies, real estate papers, rental records, bills, receipts or contracts
  • Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs) naming each other as beneficiaries in the case of death
  • Prescription, medical or hospital records indicating the next of kin
  • Child custody or school records
  • Records showing the same address, such as driver’s license, tax, electoral or census records

Proof of Member Name Change

If you wish to change your surname, Plannera requires different types of documentation depending on the circumstances surrounding the name change. While most surname changes are a product of a change in spousal relationship, you may change your surname at any time, if you provide the documentation listed.

You may change your surname to the name on your birth certificate or a Change of Name certificate, at any time, regardless of whether you are changing marital status or not.

For more information on name changes and the procedure involved to change your name in Saskatchewan, visit the Vital Statistics website at

Change in name:

You must provide one (1) of the following:

  • Change of Name certificate
  • Birth certificate
  • Divorce certificate or Decree Absolute
  • Marriage certificate
  • Spouse’s Death certificate

Change in spousal relationship:

You must provide one (1) of the following:

  • Divorce certificate or Decree Absolute
  • Interspousal agreement (provided the appropriately worded spousal waiver of the death benefit for the applicable pension plan is part of the agreement)
  • Marriage certificate
  • Spouse’s Death certificate
  • Declaration of Common-law Relationship form

Proof of Death

Documents accepted as proof of death:

  • Death certificate
  • Funeral director’s certificate of Death
  • Attending physician’s Statement of Death (Hospital Record)